Veterans and Dependents

The Office of Military and Veteran Services works in cooperation with the Veterans Administration and Military Branches to assist veterans, servicemembers, and eligible dependents to obtain military educational benefits. In order to receive benefits, an eligible student or dependent should visit the Office of Military and Veteran Services for information and assistance in applying. It is the student's or dependent's responsibility to report all pertinent information to this office in order to ensure receipt of benefits and to verify the selected program is approved for VA benefits. Additionally, it is the responsibility of the student or dependent to notify Military and Veteran Services of changes in enrollment, major, address, name, change of school, and any other information that may affect the receipt of benefits. Questions regarding veterans' educational benefits may be addressed to (308) 865-8677 or

UNK Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation) or Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill) Benefits Policy

A Covered Individual is any individual who is entitled to educational assistance under Chapter 31 or Chapter 33.  Any Covered Individual is permitted to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual (under Chapter 33) or the VA Case Manager (under Chapter 31) provides a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to UNK and ending on the earlier of the following dates:

  1. The date on which payment from the VA is made to UNK,
  2. 90 days after the date UNK certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility.

UNK will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a Covered Individual borrow additional funds, on any Covered Individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement of funding from the Department of Veterans Affairs under Chapter 31 or 33.

Additionally, this requirement is limited to the portion of funds paid directly to UNK by the VA.