Organization of Graduate Studies
- Governance of Graduate Studies at UNK
The University of Nebraska at Kearney (UNK) Graduate Faculty shall have all powers of governance of Graduate Studies at UNK, except as otherwise provided herein, or in Graduate College governance procedures approved by the Board of Regents, or in the general statues and rules governing the University.
- The UNK Graduate Council
The University of Nebraska at Kearney Graduate Council shall serve as the policy- and decision-making body of the UNK Graduate Faculty and as an advisory body to the UNK Dean of Graduate Studies.
- Membership of the UNK Graduate Council
The Council shall consist of twelve elected members of the UNK Graduate Faculty, three "at large" Graduate Faculty members, and three graduate student members.
- Graduate Faculty members from different departments will be elected by the Graduate Faculty of each academic College. Terms for elected members of the Council shall be three years and shall commence with the beginning of Fall Semester following election to the Council.
When the term of office for an elected member of the Council ends or when a vacancy occurs and the remainder of the term is for one year or more, an election to fill the vacancy shall be conducted by the Office of Graduate Studies. A ballot shall be sent to all Graduate Faculty members of the College in which the vacancy exists. The ballot shall list nominees recommended by the Graduate Council and provide an opportunity for additional nominations. The two persons on the ballot who receive the highest number of votes shall stand for election to the Council.
If the remainder of the term is for less than one year, the Dean of Graduate Studies shall appoint a member of the Faculty in the College concerned to fill the remainder of the term.
- Three additional University of Nebraska at Kearney Graduate Faculty will be appointed by the UNK Dean of Graduate Studies as "at large" members of the Graduate Council. In making these appointments, the Dean of Graduate Studies shall select individuals to serve as liaisons with the University of Nebraska Executive Graduate Council (EGC). Terms for these Graduate Council members will be concurrent with their term on the EGC, or for one year, as appropriate.
Should any of the EGC representatives be elected members of the UNK Graduate Council, the Dean of Graduate Studies may make the remaining appointment(s) with the intention of maintaining a balanced representation based on the number of graduate students and Graduate Faculty in each College. Such appointments shall be for a term not to exceed one year.
- The graduate student members of the Council shall be selected by the UNK Graduate Student Association. In the absence of an active Graduate Student Association, the UNK Dean of Graduate Studies shall appoint the members from a list of departmental nominees. Graduate student members must be currently enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours and in good academic standing. Terms for graduate student members shall be one year, commencing with the beginning of the Fall Semester.
- Powers of the UNK Graduate Council
The UNK Graduate Faculty has delegated to the Council its policy- and decision-making powers for graduate matters, subject to review and possible override by a vote of the Graduate Faculty. Decisions of the Council effecting change of policy and/or regulations may become effective immediately. All actions become final one month after general publication to the UNK Graduate Faculty unless a petition signed by at least ten members is submitted to the UNK Dean of Graduate Studies requesting a meeting of the Graduate Faculty to discuss the action of the Council. The UNK Graduate Faculty may, after discussion of the matter, request the Dean to conduct a referendum (ballot) of the issue.
- The UNK Dean of Graduate Studies
Dean of Graduate Studies, University of Nebraska at Kearney, shall be recommended for appointment by the UNK Chancellor and by the President, University of Nebraska. Appointment shall be made by the Board of Regents. The Dean of Graduate Studies shall be responsible to the Chancellor, University of Nebraska at Kearney, and to the Dean of the Graduate College, University of Nebraska, and shall be administratively responsible for the welfare of all graduate programs at the University of Nebraska at Kearney, and for implementing the policies of the Board of Regents and the Graduate Faculty concerning graduate studies.
The Dean of Graduate Studies shall preside at meetings of the Graduate Faculty, University of Nebraska at Kearney, and shall be chair of the UNK Graduate Council.
- Graduate Committees
Each department authorized to offer major work leading to the Master's or Specialist's degree shall have a Graduate Committee consisting of not fewer than three UNK Graduate Faculty members, one of whom is designated as chair of the Graduate Committee. In all cases, at least two-thirds of the Committee must be Graduate Faculty members.
Membership of the Graduate Committee is recommended by the administrative unit through its department chair or program director, for appointment by the Dean of Graduate Studies, University of Nebraska at Kearney (on behalf of the Dean of the Graduate College). Graduate Committees are responsible for the general supervision of graduate work in their administrative units.
Policies, procedures, rules and regulations previously in effect relating to University of Nebraska at Kearney graduate programs and not superseded or rendered void by this document, or by policies of the University of Nebraska Graduate College, shall remain in effect upon its adoption. The actions of the University of Nebraska at Kearney Graduate Council and the UNK Graduate Faculty shall not supersede the Rules and Regulations or actions of the University-wide Graduate Faculty or the Executive Graduate Council.