Degree Admission Status
When admitted as a degree student, the applicant will be placed in one of the following categories:
- Unconditional (Full) admission. This status will be granted to the applicant who satisfies all the following conditions:
- Transcripts have been received by the Office of Graduate Studies and Academic Outreach, verifying a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university and a cumulative grade point average between 2.75 and 4.0.
- All other departmental requirements for unconditional admission to a degree program have been met.1 This might include but is not limited to, academic deficiencies, an interview, departmental exam, a portfolio, minimum grade point standard, letters of recommendation, essay, or writing sample.
- Conditional admission. This status will be granted to an applicant who has submitted all necessary materials (listed above), but who does not meet all requirements for unconditional admission.
- Graduates of non-accredited institutions will be assigned conditional status, and this status may also be used by departments to classify students based on departmental requirements for admission.
- Applicants who do not meet minimal grade point standards may be admitted on the basis of satisfactory supplemental admission materials, as defined by specific graduate programs. Academic performance during the first semester, or as outlined by the condition stated by the department, will be assessed and will determine continuance in the program.
The conditions of admission will be specified by the department and the Office of Graduate Studies and Academic Outreach at the time of the admission notification. Conditional admission will continue until changed by the recommendation of the department and Graduate Dean. Conditional admission is automatically changed to unconditional admission upon approval of the Application for Candidacy for the degree by the Graduate Dean.
When an applicant is accepted conditionally or unconditionally, an advisor will be assigned by the department. The advisor will assist the student in attaining the student's graduate objectives. If admitted and prior to enrolling for the first time, official transcripts must be received.
For additional departmental admission requirements, students should refer to the appropriate departmental listing in the Graduate Catalog or consult with the department.