Spanish Education, Master of Arts in Education
Offered by Department of Modern Languages
Program Information and Admission Requirements
- A completed graduate application form (and fee);
- Completion of the bachelor’s degree in Spanish, Spanish Education or other major (21 credit hours of upper-level Spanish coursework preferred), with a minimum overall G.P.A. of 3.00;
- Minimum OPIc rating of Advanced-Low. (Contact Modern Languages for test administration);
- Submission of two letters of recommendation from professionals with knowledge of the candidate's aptitude;
- Statement of purpose in English. The statement must address the following areas:
- The candidate’s qualifications for graduate study in Spanish Education.
- The candidate’s long-term professional goals.
- The candidate’s expectations of the MAE in Spanish degree at UNK in terms of his/her professional development.
- Academic Writing Sample in Spanish (minimum of 4 pages):
- The sample may be a paper from an upper-level undergraduate course, but it should showcase the candidate’s analytical reasoning and argumentative writing. It should not be a summary of existing research or reporting on a given topic.
- If the candidate does not have an existing writing sample, he/she may provide an original critical analysis of an approved text.
Completion of this program requires passing written and oral comprehensive examinations in Spanish and English.
The Department of Modern Languages also offers a Graduate Certificate in Spanish.
Candidates who do not meet all of the above requirements may be admitted on a conditional basis.
This program is offered online only.
All students are required to complete an exit survey during the semester of graduation or program completion.
|FORL 810||Second Language Acquisition||3|
|FORL 820||Methods of Foreign Language Instruction||3|
|FORL 850||Spanish Heritage Language Pedagogy||3|
|FORL 800||Curriculum Development & Research||3|
|TE 800||Education Research||3|
|Spanish Specialization Requirements|
|Take the following:|
|SPAN 880||Professional Development||3|
|Select 18 credit hours from the following:||18|
|Structure of the Spanish Language|
|Seminar in Contemporary Spanish Thought|
|Seminar in Contemporary Latin American Prose Writings|
|Seminar in Contemporary Drama|
|Topics in Peninsular Literature and Culture|
|Topics in Latin American Literature and Culture|
|Topics in U.S. Latino/Chicano Literature and Culture|
|Graduate Study Abroad|
|Graduate Study Abroad|
|Directed Readings in Spanish|
|Independent Studies in Spanish|
|Total Credit Hours||36|