Facilities

There are 49 buildings on the 514-acre campus of UNK. The major buildings are:

William E. Bruner Hall of Science

Built in 1966, the original Bruner Hall of Science footprint was 84,900 gross square feet, but in 1987 a 15,320 GSF Lecture Hall added three additional levels. In 2004 deferred maintenance renovations upgraded building systems at a cost of $6.4 million. In 2009 a $14 million renovation addressed the upgrade of 47,000 GSF, the razing of Mary Morse Lecture Hall and the construction of a 17,800 GSF new addition. The renovation upgraded and enhanced teaching and research labs and support spaces within the existing building. The addition features a new planetarium and offices for the Health Science Programs, classrooms and student lounge space. Other departments occupying the building are Biology, Chemistry and Physics and Astronomy.

Calvin T. Ryan Library

This building was erected in 1963. An addition in 1983 doubled the size of the facility. The Learning Commons (which includes Subject Tutoring and the Writing Center) is housed in the Library. The attached Mitchell Center includes radio and television broadcasting facilities and houses the Communication Department and Antelope Newspaper offices.

College of Education Building

Completed in 2002, the College of Education Building is a 50,000 square foot building with state-of-the-art technology. The building has been designed with the needs of teaching and clinical education as its focus. Six large classrooms are equipped with electronic teaching stations, wireless computer capabilities and the potential for computer-assisted teaching in a variety of teaching configurations. Fifty faculty offices are provided for the departments of Counseling and School Psychology, Communication Disorders, Educational Administration and Teacher Education, along with other spaces for the Dean of Education, advising, teacher certification activities, and administrative support.

Communications Center Building

Part of the former State Hospital complex acquired in 1972, this renovated building is used by Creative Services on the first level, Video Services on the second level and eCampus on the third level.

Copeland Hall

Built and used as the campus gymnasium from 1918 to 1961, this building was used for offices and classes until 1995 when a classroom addition was built. The original building was renovated in 1996 and now houses offices for the Dean of Natural and Social Sciences and the Departments of Sociology, Geography and Earth Science; History; and Psychology.

Cushing Health, Physical Education and Recreation Facility

Originally constructed in 1961, this facility has undergone extensive renovation. The renovated building houses classrooms, offices, laboratories, locker facilities, an indoor running track, racquetball, tennis, basketball and volleyball courts, weight area and swimming pool. These facilities service recreation and intramural programs in addition to space for intercollegiate athletic teams and the Department of Kinesiology and Sport Sciences.

Facilities Building

This brick structure houses offices and work areas for Facilities Management and Planning and Police and Parking Services.

Fine Arts Building

This building houses the department of Music, Theatre and Dance and the office of the Dean of Fine Arts and Humanities. It opened in January, 1970, and in 1979 a wing was added to house the Department of Art and Design and the Walker Art Gallery. The Fine Arts Recital Hall and Miriam Drake Theatre on the first level and the Studio Theatre on the lower level provide space for student and faculty performances.

Founders Hall

Opened in 1977 and dedicated to the original faculty of UNK, this facility now serves as the administrative hub of the University. Offices include the Chancellor and Vice Chancellors, Dean of Graduate Studies and Research, Finance, Student Records and Registration, AA/EEO, Human Resources, Business Services, and Budget, on the first level. Second level includes offices of Academic Services & Enrollment Management, Communications and Community Relations, Institutional Research, Ethnic Studies, General Studies, Graduate Admissions, Risk Management/Environmental Health and Safety, Sponsored Programs and Research Development, Telecommunications, and faculty offices and classrooms for Departments of Criminal Justice, Mathematics and Statistics, Political Science, and Social Work in the College of Natural & Social Sciences.

G. W. Frank Museum of History & Culture

The Frank Museum is located in one of the largest mansions built during Kearney's 19th century industrial boom. Completed in 1890, the home of George and Phoebe Frank was notable for its opulence and modernity, featuring hand-carved oak woodwork, electric lighting, indoor plumbing, steam heating, large fireplaces, and other modern amenities. Following Kearney's collapse in the mid-1890s, the building served as both a private sanitarium and the residency for the Nebraska State Hospital for the Tubercular (now the West Campus of UNK). Today, the museum's mission is to engage diverse audiences with the history and culture of Kearney, Nebraska, and the larger Great Plains region through collecting, preserving, and sharing the stories of the many individuals associated with this historic site. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Frank Museum serves as a living institution, interpreting the home and its cultural resources, and is dedicated to exploring our past as a way of better understanding our present and future. Throughout the year, the museum is available for public and private tours, school trips, university functions, and as a resource for class projects.

General Services Building

Originally built as the Military Science building in 1969, this building now houses the public offices of Facilities Management and Planning and Police and Parking Services.

Health and Sports Center

Dedicated during the fall of 1990, this facility houses UNK's indoor spectator sports. In addition, offices for the UNK intercollegiate athletics sports teams and the Athletic Director staff, locker facilities, equipment rooms, athletic weight area, athletic training facilities, wrestling and martial arts rooms are located in the building. Concession and restroom facilities serve spectators utilizing the 6000-seat arena.

Health Science Education Complex

Dedicated in August 2015, the Health Science Education Complex is a $19 million, 46,000 square feet state-of-the art facility. This complex represents an inter-campus partnership between the University of Nebraska Medical Center and University of Nebraska at Kearney to help address current and projected nursing and allied health workforce shortages in rural Nebraska. The Health Science Education Complex houses seven programs: nursing and graduate nursing, physician assistants, physical therapy, clinical laboratory science, radiography, and diagnostic medical sonography (allied health professions). In addition, the complex building includes seven classrooms, fourteen extensive simulation, and five clinical skills laboratories for pre-clinical education and complex clinical scenarios, learning studio and seminar rooms, health assessment laboratories and simulated primary care spaces, a gross anatomy lab, administrative, faculty and staff office spaces to accommodate current and expanded numbers of faculty and staff members, and secure storage spaces for research and academic records.

Memorial Student Affairs Building

Constructed in 1956 and remodeled in 1964 and 1984, this building houses the Dean for Student Affairs, Admissions, Campus Post Office, Academic and Career Services Office, First Year Program, Student Support Services, Financial Aid, Women's Center and Student Health & Counseling (SHC).

The Museum of Nebraska Art

Located on the Bricks in downtown Kearney, the Museum of Nebraska Art (MONA) is housed in a beautifully renovated 1911 Renaissance revival building listed on the National Register of Historic Places, providing an ideal setting for its collection of over 6,000 works. Dedicated to telling the story of Nebraska through the art of Nebraska, MONA exhibits the work of a distinguished and diverse group of artists with a tie to Nebraska or by artists from around the world who have depicted Nebraska subjects. Originally a Post Office, the building was remodeled and expanded in 1993 and includes an outdoor sculpture garden. The UNK community of students, faculty, and staff visit and are welcomed to MONA for a variety of classes, programs, and activities.

The Nebraskan Student Union

This building was opened in 1964. A major renovation and addition was completed in 2002 adding 25,000 square feet. The Nebraskan houses union administrative offices, the Office of Multicultural Affairs as well as student activity offices, UNK food service operations, the campus bookstore and conference space.

Ockinga Seminar Center

Constructed adjacent to Welch Hall as a gift from the Clara Ockinga estate, this building provides two seminar rooms used by the University and the public as well as the office of International Education.

Otto Olsen Building

Built in 1957, this structure houses Industrial Technology, Computer Science and Information Technology, Information Technology Services and the UNK Child Development Center.

Residence Halls

UNK has 10 traditional residence halls and University Heights apartments to accommodate students residing on campus. Mantor, Randall, URN, URS & Men's hall have traditional double rooms with shared bathrooms on each floor. CTE & CTW is a semi-suite residence hall with a private bathroom shared between two rooms. Antelope & Nester Hall has 2 & 4 person suites with kitchenette, living area and bathrooms shared in a suite environment while allowing students to have individual bedrooms. University Heights is a housing option for students with families or non-traditional age students. New family housing options are being pursued by the university with expected opening of Fall 2018.

Ron & Carol Cope Center for Safety Education and Research

Constructed in 1981, the area includes a driving range and provides space for services offered by the Nebraska Safety Center.

A. O. Thomas Hall

A campus school from 1926-1963, it now houses the Departments of English, Modern Languages and Philosophy.

Roland B. Welch Hall

This facility was part of the 1972 State Hospital complex acquisition. In 1989 the building, which now houses International Education, was named Roland B. Welch Hall in honor of a long-time business professor.

West Center

In 1972 UNK acquired the former State Hospital complex. A major renovation was completed in 2001 and now provides facilities for the College of Business and Technology Dean, Departments of Accounting/Finance, Economics, Family Studies and Interior Design, Management, Marketing and Management Information Systems, and the College of Business and Technology Centers for Economics Education, Rural Research & Development, Nebraska Safety Education and Nebraska Business Development.